Tuesday, October 4, 2011

18 Months

Trey is now more like 18 going on 19 months.  I'm a little behind...

Trey is getting quite the personality and is such a joy to have around!  We just love him to death!
 The silly boy still hasn't figure out how to talk much yet.  Instead he's learned to communicate using different grunts and noises.  Despite our many efforts, he refuses to use words.  He often says Dad and usually only says mom when he's sad or upset.  It goes a little something like this, "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma" (in a sad and whiny voice).  You'd think with his obsession of balls that he would have figured out how to say ball by now.  But no, nothing even remotely close.  Hmph.  Maybe one day he'll surprise us all and start talking, but for now we'll just have to settle for his sign language and distinct grunting responses.

Trey is still super helpful when I ask him to do something for me.  Despite his lack of speaking, he is one smart cookie and seems to understand most things I ask him to do.  It often surprises me how much he picks up on.  He loves to help me clean and copy everything I do.  Sometimes it's a little counter-productive but at least he is TRYING to be helpful.  :)  Every time he thinks we are going somewhere he gets Jeff and I our shoes and then brings me my purse and the keys.  We can't fool him.

Trey loves to go outside.  If I even mention the word he is at the door trying to open it.  He LOVES walks.  I don't know what I'm going to do all winter!  I think I'm in trouble.  {Any fun indoor activities with an almost-2-year-old would be much appreciated!}  He still loves to watch Barney.  That is pretty much the only show that he will actually sit through the entire thing.  Otherwise his attention span isn't very long.  He loves it when we read books to him.  Lately he's been a little obsessed with reading books about airplanes, cars, trains, boats, motorcycles, basically anything that runs.

Lately, Trey has been a great little sleeper.  I hesitate to say that for fear of jinxing myself but it'll be nice to compare when my next little one comes along.  He sleeps on average 11-13 hours each night and usually takes a 2-3 hour nap.  I'm trying to soak it all in now because my days of getting a full nights sleep are limited.  I'm not quite ready to embrace the newborn stage yet.  It's sneaking up on me quick.
 {Our car is in the shop so we've had the carseat in the house for a few days.  It's been a nice little seat for him to watch TV.}

I took Trey to his 18 month appt and let's just say it was a bit of a nightmare.  The second we got in the room and the door was closed, Trey was hysterical.  He was pulling on me with all of his might towards the door.  I felt so bad.  In between the times that the doctor and nurses come in and out, I had to take him out in the hall just to get him to calm down.  I'm certainly not looking forward to any future appointments.  He's never loved the doctor but he's never been quite that bad.  When I had to lay him down on the table to get his shots he clung to me with all of his might.  Thank goodness that was the last of his shots until he is 5.

His Stats at 18 months:
Weight:  28 pounds 6 oz.  (75%)
Height:  32.5 in.  (50%)
Head:  20 in.  (95%)

He's definitely slowed down in his height and weight.  He's been in the same size clothes since the beginning of the year.  I don't think he lasted more than 2 months in each size the first year of his life.  It was crazy!

Trey really has fun when he has other little friends to play with.  He's been so cute with little babies lately and loves to give them their binky and bring them a toy.  I'm hoping he'll still be that way when his little sister comes.  I'm getting nervous about having another little baby around to steal all the attention that has previously been on Trey.

We are so in love with this little guy it's hard to imagine having that much love for someone else.  I can't wait to welcome a baby girl into our home.  It's going to change things around here for sure but I know it will be for the better.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Kimi, He is so super adorable!!

Jamie said...

Stats are so weird. Brooke just had her 18 month appt and weighed 24lbs and they said that was the 75%. huh. I don't think they are right then if trey is 28lbs and 75%. My dr. must have read the chart wrong!

Anonymous said...

Such cute photos--can't wait for Nov. when you'll be again! Love you all--
Grandma Kathie

NJ said...

He looks so skinny in that very first picture! Will you email me the ones with Caleb? I got that one on my phone, but yours is so much better! They all are really to die for!

Taryn said...

They grow up way too fast don't they? But for us crazies who think having another baby already is a good idea I guess it is good in a way too :) He is just too cute! He and Stella must play together soon!!!

Bobbie said...

Winter is hard with kids. Some things Cole loves are building and knocking down blocks, train tracks, and mostly I don't allow it, but play dough. He's getting so big and cute, can't believe baby girl is going to be here soon.