This past weekend a bunch of Jeff's friends came and visited us. Caleb came Tuesday night (he had issues with his flights and had to come a few days early due to the hurricane in Houston) and Ryan and Taryn and Jeremy and Chelsey drove here Friday morning from Ohio. Jeff and his friends have kind of started a tradition of getting together once a year and having what they call a "Super sports weekend." Meaning they go to as many sporting events as they can in 3 days.... so that is what we did. Only this time, the girls got to tag along, I'm sure the guys loved it! :)
Friday night we went to the Pittsburgh Pirates game. The Pirate's unfortunately lost 5-1 to the Houston Astros, but the fireworks after the game definitely made up for their loss. They put on an AWESOME show, probably the best I've seen. (I will post a short video of it below.) It felt like it was the finale during the whole show. Then Saturday we went to the University of Pittsburgh football game. They played a good game, winning 21-20 against Iowa. This time it wasn't near as hot, we learned our lesson last time and found seats in the shade. After the game we came home, packed up our stuff, and headed to Washington DC. Jeff and his friends got tickets from Chris Cooley (they went to high school with him) to go see the Redskins game. For those of you who don't know who Chris Cooley is, he plays tight end for the Washington Redskins... he's pretty much a big deal. :) The boys were pretty stoked. We got to our hotel, just outside of DC, late Saturday night and the next morning the guys headed to the football game while the girls got on the metro to go see the sites in DC. (Thanks to Chelsey for being our tour guide) I have never been to DC before so it was an awesome experience. We covered a lot of ground in about 7 hours. By the end of the day, we were all pretty pooped from walking so much. I think Jeff and I will for sure go back when we can spend a few more days there, since there is so much to see and only so much you can do in one day. We walked around to a lot of the memorials and monuments. My favorite was the WWII memorial and the Lincoln memorial. I also thought it was so cool to go into the National Archives building where they have the original copy of the Declaration of Independence. We also went through the Natural History museum. I think kids would be in heaven in that museum. I remember learning all about that stuff when I was in elementary school, and would have loved it as a kid. Not that I didn't find it very intriguing myself because I did...
After the game we got back on the metro and met up with Jeff and his friends at Chris Cooley's house. (Thanks to the Cooleys for their hospitality.) Jeff said Chris played a good game and they won 24-17. Go Redskins! The drive to his house was so pretty... lots of victorian homes with beautiful yards. I loved it. We got home that night around 1:30am... just in time for Jeff to get back for his 8:00 test Monday morning. He was exhausted... a weekend with no sleep and every spare minute spent studying. He had another test Tuesday so he didn't get home that night until close to 10. Poor guy. Although, you shouldn't feel too bad for him, he had an eventful weekend full of sports... he couldn't be happier. Here are some pictures from our weekend…
Here is a brief clip of the fireworks... I wish I would have got a longer one. The view was amazing.
Before the game at FedEx Field.
Caleb in front of Laron Landry's Hummer. They were able to hang out before and after the game in the player's parking lot with Chris and his family.
Jeff barely snuck into this picture with Caleb, Jer, and Jason Taylor. He plays for the Redskins and was on Dancing with the Stars last season.
Chris's jerseys. He recently acquired his Logan High jersey. (bottom right)
Just leaving Chris's house... thanks again for dinner and a tour of your house!
Me and Taryn in front of the Lincoln Memorial.
Korean War Memorial
Capital Building
National Archives Building

Washington Monument

WWII Memorial... my favorite.


WWI Memorial.. they made quite an upgrade with the WWII memorial.
Back of the White House, that's as close as we got.
11 comments:
What a fun weekend. I can't believe all the fun things you guys are doing. I have to admit, I'm jealous!
Wow! Your pictures are gorgeous! I can't believe you did all of that in such a short time. You must be a big deal or something! I'm working on getting you the sec job right next to me in Benedum Hall 1048!!!1
Wow that was such a fun weekend! I am so glad we got to come! Thanks again for letting us stay with you!
wow kimi! hi how are you? i'm not sure if you remember me from JCP, but i just saw your blog on julianne's blog. anyway, are you living in pittsburgh? if so, LUCKY YOU!!! thats where i'm from! my entire family is still there. :( which makes me sad since i'm in logan still. if you ARE living there, what are you doing? how'd you end up there?
So pretty sure you are the bomb dig at blogging and I suck! I never know what to write but it's so much fun reading all the stuff you write :) you pretty much rock :)
hey there! yeah i'm from there. and i miss home so much!! i'm actually from right south of pittsburgh..probably the same distance as driving from logan to farmington or so. its called uniontown. i know where brookline is though. thats so cool you live there. i have a TON of friends who live in pittsburgh. the burgh was pretty much the hangout when i was growing up...especially since the pirates and steelers are there. have you noticed how fanatic people are about their sports teams? i love it! as a matter of fact, i just spoke to my mom today, and everyone in my family is sending my little boy steelers outfits, mittens, hats, etc. for his 1 year birthday coming up. yeah steelers fans are crazy...but i'm one of them so i cant talk. :)
yes the roads are definitely different huh. its so busy there and pretty hard to get around if you dont know exactly where you're going. no grid system there. i remember missionaries who would be in PA would go CRAZY because they never knew where places were without asking for specific directions. if you guys like outdoor stuff, you should definitely go to Ohipyle, Cucumber Falls, Falling Water, and the fun historic sites near those places. They are a little farther away from you than uniontown....they're south of Uniontown and Pittsburgh is North. Anyway though, those are some of my favorite places in the world...so pretty...besides PNC PARK and HEINZ field haha. :) Anyway sorry to write you a novel but i'm so excited you live there now. i miss it so much! i cant wait to go home. when i do, i'll have to let u know and maybe we can visit!
How fun! Brody and I just went to NY/DC in June and we loved it! I just love seeing famous places. How fun for you guys that you live so close!
p.s. it's Nicole Gneiting that I know.
Hey... If you guys didn't play so darn much you'd have time to play Settlers with ME!! (Or maybe study???) Love ya... glad you guys are having fun!
Looks like you guys are all settled in a doing great! I am super jealous that you live in a fun, big city! Broadway musicals, big games, cool restaurants. Awesome. Oh, and thanks for sending those movies, it made Dean's day to see his collection complete. hahaha
Yay, I found you! By the way, Bryant (crazy sports enthusiast extraordinare) was super jealous you guys got to see the game in D.C.!
Post a Comment