Sunday, April 8, 2012

Grampy

My sweet Grandpa passed away this morning.
Everyone who knew him would tell you what a wonderful man he was.
 I can't think of a more fitting day than Easter for him to go.
I'm sure the Lord is welcoming a dear friend home today.
 
He has been an amazing Grandpa and would have taken the shirt off his back for anyone.
I seriously can't think of a better example to follow than my Grandpa.
We always joked that when he died he'd be heading straight to the Celestial Kingdom and the rest of us would be hanging on to his shirt tail!  We laugh about it now but that's probably what's going to happen!

About a month ago my Grandpa had a stroke that caused both his arm and leg to go numb.  They took him to the Logan Rehab center with hopes that therapy would help him recover.  He tried his best but in the end it just wasn't in the cards.  This last week he went downhill fast and just gave up on eating all together.  He was ready to go and had managed to stay around long enough to tell all of his children goodbye.

My mom and aunt Lori were here visiting me this last week and got home hours before he passed.
They stopped by on there way home around midnight to check in on him and ended up staying for over an hour holding his hand and talking to him, telling him about their week and letting him know they loved him.  He wasn't able to open his eyes but they knew he was listening.  My mom told me he twitched his eyes on 3 different occasions that let them know he could hear them. They said a prayer with him before they left and asked the nurses to give him some morphine since he appeared to be quite uncomfortable.  They received a phone call 45 minutes after they left that he had passed.  I know he waited for them to come home and say their goodbyes one last time.  I'm so glad they got that tender moment with him.


 My Grampy made an impression on everyone he met.
He loved when you would sit down and talk with him about stories from his past.  He could talk to you for hours.  He was such a little jokester and would always be cracking little jokes or trying to tickle us when we weren't looking.

Ever since I was a little girl my Grandpa has always called me Kimberly.  I don't think I can recall a time he has ever called me anything else.  I loved that about him.  He is so sweet and so loving.  I'm not sure my sweet Grampy has ever said a bad word in all his life, much less raised his voice.
 If only we could all be more like him.



My Grandpa LOVED to be outside and loved to go on walks.  This time of year was his favorite.  Every time he'd see a pretty flower, a cool looking leaf, a pretty sunset, a rainbow, deer running in the field, a pretty bird, basically anything he found of interest he would come and get us and want to show us.  It always brought a smile to my face.  I'm really going to miss having him around, sitting in his little blue chair.  He loved that chair.  That will forever be his spot. 


My Grampy treated my Grammy so good.  He always did whatever she asked of him without a word of complaint.  He was such a hard worker.  In all his 35 years of teaching school, he only missed 3 of those days due to a ruptured kidney (or something close to that).  My grandpa loves to read.  He's probably read every church book there is to read. :)  And as long as I can recall, he's watched the BYU devotional on TV every week.  (Even if he had to turn it up to the loudest volume to hear it).  He LOVED his grandkids, and although he didn't always vocalize it, I KNEW he loved me.  He was always so happy when any of the family came over to visit.


I'm so happy for the knowledge of the gospel and eternal families.  I know we will get to see him again someday.  It's reassuring to know my Grampy is happy and in a better place.  I obviously can't remember what heaven is like, but I'd like to think it is a beautiful place with lots of flowers, and I can just picture my Grampy up there smelling every last one of them.  I know he is having quite the reunion up in heaven with all of his family and was welcomed home with open arms.
 

He will most definitely be missed.
I love you Grampy!

7 comments:

Tara and Brigham said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Kimi. Sounds like he was a great man! What a blessing it is to have people like that in our lives, and even more importantly to know that they will never really leave us. You and your family will be in my prayers!

Missy W. said...

I'm sorry to hear that Kimi!
But what a perfect time, when we are all remembering that we will live again. Hugs

Taryn said...

So sorry to hear about your sweet grandpa. He sounds so cute! How great the blessings of the Gospel! The knowledge that our Savior lives again and that our families are eternal! Love ya, girl!

Angie said...

He was such a sweet man and we will all miss him. What a special tribute to him Kimi. Love you lots.

BusyMama said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet grandpa. You made me cry! All of my grandparents have passed away so this was a little reminder of how special mine were and are. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Jeremy and Jani said...

This made me cry. i told jeremy just the other day that he always called me janalyn and i dont think he ever called me jani. funny you remember the same thing. what an amazing person he was.

Caitlyn said...

Thanks for making me cry!! What a beautiful tribute!