So... we called the plumber. Keep in mind that we tried everything else first to see if there was some way our homeowners insurance might cover this or maybe the previous owners would be responsible for paying half, seeing as though it happened just a month after we moved in. But we got nowhere with that... Hence the fact we put it off for so long. Anyway, to make an already long story short... the plumber came and put a snake down our pipes from our basement and discovered that our pipe was broken. (He also discovered "other stuff" that was clogging the pipes, but I'll spare you the details on that.) I will tell you that Jeff was the lucky guy who got to clean it all up! What a man! :) The plumber told us there was a good chance they may have to rip out some of the steps to fix the pipe but they would would avoid having to do that if at all possible. He told us to go easy on our water until they could come back and fix it. (They dug a hole in the dirt to the side of our steps to see if they could get to the pipes, which opened up the leak even more) So for the past week and a half I haven't been able to use my washer or dishwasher, and Jeff and I have been trying to take short showers (which I discovered, am not very good at). And let me just tell you how much you learn to appreciate things when you have to go without! Luckily Carlee and Brett were kind enough to let us use their washer. Thanks guys! Finally yesterday they came and fixed our pipe, and were luckily able to avoid tearing out our steps. The good news is we can now use our water to our liking... the bad news is we have a fat bill of $2700! Like I said... the joys of owning a home!
Sick! I really don't want to know what that all consists of....
They ended up finding roots that were completely wrapped around and clogging the pipes... that's what that black stuff is... so they had to completely take out the old pipe and replace it.
And here is the new pipe. To the right of the stair railing is where the leak was initially coming out, running out in front of our steps and down the sidewalk... there was a huge hole in the pipe right underneath the steps, but they said that wasn't even the root of the problem. They said it was probably a good thing there was a hole because if not the water would have had nowhere to escape because the roots had completely clogged up the pipe (right where he is standing) and it would have eventually backed up into our basement. Thank heavens for the hole I guess.
They came back today and layed cement so hopefully in a day or two it will be good as new. Let's hope anyway!
Besides having to stress about getting our sewer fixed, we have also been having some fun! We had another Office party at Devin and Nicole's last week and had some yummy mexican food that everyone brought to share! We also went to a pie party on Sunday at Joseph and Lisa Westover's house. I even made my first ever banana cream pie, okay really it was my first ever pie... sad to admit I know. Thank heavens it was a hit and Jeff couldn't have been more impressed! He was hoping no one would eat it so he could take it home and eat it all himself! Too bad I forgot to take a picture of my pie! Not to mention all the other delicious pies everyone brought!
Jeff and I stopped by a halloween party Saturday night that one of the dental school students had for all the people with kids. I know, we don't have kids, but we thought it would be fun to see them all. Anyway, this was Brett's wig. I had Jeff put it on so I could get a picture... Doesn't he make that wig look good?? hahaha
18 comments:
oh my heck sorry to hear about you house. It seems whenever you buy a house something has to go wrong. Good luck with everything.
Haha, it was so nice to re-live the sewer pipe story again in full detail. You are good at those kind of things are you Kim? :) I am sorry though that you guys had to deal with that "crap" that really "stinks". Hahaha oh I'm so funny. Ok, not really but let's just hope that is the worst of your house-ly repairs you'll have to pair for while you're out there. I also liked how all the sewage talk made you spell "sue", "sew". (at least I'm 90% sure it's mixed up, but I quite college remember? and the fact that we're not the lovey dovey friends like others we've talked about) That is why you're my friend. ;)
Hahahahaha, quite = quit. That just proves my point even more!!! Ps Nate almost threw up when I told him how long we talked for the other day. But I did get my dishes done I'll have you know!!!
Thank you Laci for correcting me... you are right, it is sue. I'm just and idiot. Like you said, I was used to saying the word sewage. :) But I do love the sentence.. "what do I know, I quite college." hahaha... classic
Hey you guys how's it going? I came across your blog and thought I'd say hi so we can keep in touch. How do you like it out there? Looks like your doing great and lovin life!
i'm glad your steps were spared - that would have been a crazy amount of money! it makes our $300 furnace repair seem like no big deal. Aren't you glad you could make me feel better about that :)
Doesn't seem like you are laking for fun there in Pittsburg!! You have a ton of friends. The joys of owning a house!! Good luck with that!
What a relief, no more raw sewage leaking from your yard! I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more big home repairs for you two. By the way, you didn't tell us about the old lady, that's pretty funny! That's one way to get to know your neighbors.
haha, I love this picture Jeff!! Send me that wig, I could use it for halloween.
I can't believe your leak issue. Don't you love that you are now responsible to fix EVERYTHING that goes wrong now? It's good that you got that fixed, I was planning on ya'll paying for our school debt if I feel on your sidewalk! Don't you love old people!
Amber
Wow! That whole pipe thing is no good! I'm glad it all got fixed and that it didn't leak out into your basement... that would have sucked! We've had a few things go wrong with our house, but nothing that bad! Hopefully that's the only problem you'll ever have. :)
Wow, what a bummer. I don't remember hearing about it. I can't believe how much money it cost and that was without fixing steps, lucky you. Good luck with no more repairs while you're here.
Crazy! We had the other thing happen...a month after we moved in our basement was...a toilet! The sewers backed up into our basement. We called a plumber and it was only about $400.00 but still very yucky!
I am glad it is finished and you can get back to normal.
Man, sorry to hear about all the troubles! And I definitely hear ya on the woes of owning a house, luckily nothing that bad has happened to us... but it still adds up pretty fast!
Glad it's all taken care of though and that you've got good friends out there... good luck!
Kimi- sorry to hear about the troubles with the house! just thought i'd say hi, hope things are going well- Jamilin
I heard Jeff rocked some tests last week. way to go smarty pants!
oh my! this makes me nervous about being a homeowner. ouch! i do love the wig though. jeff needs to grow his hair out...that is, if he still has hair to grow. ;)
That is a sad sad story. I despise home repairs and the yucky-in-your-gut feeling when you know you have a huge stinkin bill coming. Glad that you didn't get sued though! Looks like you guys are having fun otherwise!
Post a Comment